Monday, March 9, 2020

He Makes Your Enemies Your Footstool, Not You



"A Psalm of David. The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool." (Psalm 110:1)

The more that I understand how real, how vibrant, how living Christ Jesus is in my life, the more that I understand, that I receive the promises which He has purchased for us.

This verse stands out considerably for me.

It all began with one of Pastor Joseph Prince's earlier sermons "Have a Throne Attitude". We are called to rest in Christ Jesus and His Finished Work first, then watch God take care of all the other problems which face us.

What I have learned recently, however, is that God can and wants to be in the business of taking care of our enemies, our foes, those who oppose us. However, if we insist in having a part in it, we frustrate His grace.

Paul writes to the Galatians, who wanted to go back under law, who wanted to trust in their flesh, their self-efforts, rather than rest in His Spirit:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain." (Galatians 2:20-21)

Jesus is our Life, and He is very much alive in us (Colossians 3:4, Colossians 1:27). For the longest time, though, I could not give over to Him the power, the authority, the trust to make my enemies my footstool. This release was hard for me.

Why? Because I did not see Him as active, involved in every aspect of my life. I was determined, insistent on seeing the clear and convincing outcomes of His judgment waged in my life.

And I must admit, the other side of it is that I wanted to have a hand in it. I wanted to make it happen. Like David holding the sword over Goliath, I wanted to be intimiately involved in the demise of my enemies.

In other words, I wanted to make it happen in my effort, on my time, my way. I still had confidence in my flesh, and certainly more than in God's grace and power.

Consider what Paul has to say about this:

"For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh." (Philippians 3:3)

To be honest now, there is no way that anything that I accomplish to avenge myself would be appropriate, effective, or worthwhile.

God is very clear about to whom vengeance belongs, as well:

"Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord." (Romans 12:19)

When it comes to our flesh, God is also quite clear:

"And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence." (1 Corinthians 1:28-29)

No flesh shall glory in God's presence. He deserves all the credit since He is the one is doing the work. He is working within each of us who believe in Him, after all! (Philippians 2:13)

I wanted that self-gratification, I admit. For a long time, I wanted to be front-row center watching my enemies get taken down.

But there is a promise of this vindication taking place for me:

"Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked." (Psalm 91:8)

I will see it, but I won't be up front to see it. Besides, what joy really is there in seeing the wrong of my enemies brought onto their heads? I want restoration and promotion far more than mere vengeance.

In fact, that is exactly what God promises to me, and what He accomplished for me through His Son Christ Jesus!

"For your shame ye shall have double; and for confusion they shall rejoice in their portion: therefore in their land they shall possess the double: everlasting joy shall be unto them." (Isaiah 61:7)

Here's a prophecy about what Jesus did at the Cross for all of us:

"They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head: they that would destroy me, being mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty: then I restored that which I took not away." (Psalm 69:4)

Jesus knew no sin, did no sin, had no sin in Himself. Yet He restored everything that we had done wrong, and He has provided the restoration for every wrong done to us.

I know longer live a life of trying to make other people pay for the wrongs that they have done to me. God has overpaid my sin debt, and His grace is superabundantly blessings me now!

Today, I recognize that it is not my job to make my enemies pay for the wrongs they have done to me. In fact, I don't have to do anything to them, since I have seen, and continue to receive, great recompense and reward from Christ Jesus for all that He has done, is doing, and will do for me in the future. I both know and believe in His love (1 John 4:16), and that is all that matters.

God is making my enemies my footstool. My job is simply to believe that He is handling the situation. After, it's faith that pleases Him! (Hebrews 11:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment