Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Be Still and Know -- That He Makes You Know Him

"Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth." (Psalm 46: 10)

"Be Still" literally means "be quiet".

Yet God does not merely invite us to be quiet, but to "know Him".

In fact, Peter tells us to "grow in grace and knowledge of the Lord." (2 Peter 3: 18)

For many of us, though, we fear that to know the Lord will require us to work, not to rest.

Yet under the New Covenant, The Lord God goes out of His way to make Himself known to us:

"10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. 12For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." (Hebrews 8: 10-12)

Under the New Covenant, the Lord seeks us, and we receive the gifts of righteousness and grace because of what Jesus has done for us:

"For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ." (Romans 5: 17)

and

"9But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?" (Galatians 4: 9)

We know Him more to the extent that we know and believe how much He knows us.

The Holy Spirit who lives within us also testifies of Jesus:

"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:" (John 15: 26)

Our "work" is to believe on Him (John 6: 29). Keep receiving from Him, and He will make Himself known to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment