Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Jesus is Your Gracious Rest

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11: 28)

"I will give you rest" should be rendered "I will rest you," for Christ is our rest.

The last two verses following Matthew 11: 28 give us greater understanding of all that He wishes to do for us:

"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls." (Matthew 11: 29)

Some have interpreted this call to take on Christ's yoke as proof that the Christian life is full of trials and strenuous effort on our part. Let us not forget that Jesus Christ is our yokefellow, and He has given us His life, for we were dead in our trespasses, signalling that we had nothing at all but an eternal need.

"For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11: 30)

"Easy" is true, but the full meaning of the original word "chrestos" conveys "kind, beneficial, and useful." Christ's yoke actually blesses us and gives to us power, strength and blessings. This burden indeed is light, because He is inviting us to rest in Him, that He may work:

"10But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." (1 Corinthians 15: 10)

"Chrestos" has at its root "charis", or grace. Grace is our new yoke, a rest from our labors so that He may labor in us.

Keep receiving from Jesus His gifts of righteousness and grace, and watch Him work abundantly in  your life, for Jesus is your gracious rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment