Thursday, September 5, 2013

Intimacy and Identity in Christ

In Christ Jesus, intimacy becomes identity. We are more than mere lovers, we are one! We are married more than more or woman ever could be.

I used to think that our relationship in God was based on growing in greater connection with Him. We start out as His children, say, then we become like a married couple.

I looked at passages like:

"And it shall be at that day, saith the LORD, that thou shalt call me Ishi; and shalt call me no more Baali." (Hosea 2: 16)

and

"For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ." (2 Corinthians 11: 2)

But then I read in Jesus' prayer before His trial and execution:

"I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me." (John 17: 23)

And of course:

"Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4: 17)

Then I return to the first chapter of John's Gospel:

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:" (John 1: 12)

For the believer, our intimacy is our identity in Christ Jesus. For this reason Paul wrote:

"That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

"May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

"And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. " (Ephesians 3: 17-19)

God is love (1 John 4: 16), and we are one with Him in our Spirit man, but He desires us to work out this salvation, presenting our bodies a living sacrifice and renewing our minds to the Truth (Romans 12: 1-2).

Intimacy is identity in Christ realized to our minds and senses through receiving His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment