Monday, September 14, 2015

Jesus: Our Sabbath Rest

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11: 28)

We have a greater Sabbath than what the Israelites had celebrated for centuries under the Old Covenant.


Under law, the Sabbath occurred on one day:

"8Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." (Exodus 20: 8-11)

Under grace, this Sabbath rest occurs for us every day, and we strive to enter deeper into this rest:

"Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it." (Hebrews 4:1-2)

and also

" 9There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief." (Hebrews 4: 9-11)

How do we enter into this rest which the writer of Hebrews talks about?

When we believe on Jesus, and receive more of His grace and righteousness into our lives.

In fact, Jesus invites us to all Him to rest us.

"Come to me, all you who toil and are weary with burdens, and I will rest you." (Literal translation)

Today, because Jesus has given us His life, He invites us to rest in Him, and allow His life to flow thorough us. This true Sabbath rest is one in which we stop, and allow Him to do all things:

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." (John 15: 5)

and also

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness comeby the law, then Christ is dead in vain." (Galatians 2: 20-21)

and then

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4: 13)

and finally

"If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4When Christ,who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory." (Colossians 3: 1-4)

Because we rest, in that we stop being and doing in our efforts, He is able to work. Jesus, our Sabbath rest, accomplishes so much more in and through us than anything we could on our own.




No comments:

Post a Comment