Friday, August 8, 2014

Let God, Then Let Go

Here is one of the most oft-repeated phrase in self-help circles:

"Let Go. Let God."

As often as I heard this phrase repeated, and as often as I tried to practice letting go, there was never any peace in my life.

If I let go of this or that, then how do I know that everything will be taken care of?

In order to "Let God", you have to trust that this God is there, and that He is there for you:

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." (Hebrews 11: 6)
 
If we want to know God, especially God as Father, we must look to Jesus, who is the Author and Finisher of faith (Hebrews 12: 1-2):

"8Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. 9Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?" (John 14: 8-9)

When we see Jesus our Savior, we see God as our Father, the most loving Parent who gave His Son, that we would receive everlasting life (John 3: 16), that in Christ His Son we would receive the adoption of children (Romans 8: 15), that we would be made the righteousness of God in Christ (2 Corinthians 5: 21)

When we understand how much God loves us, then we see how well He holds us:

"My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand." (John 10: 29)

He has you and me and all things in His hands.

When you let God be who He is, in that He has everything, then you and I can let go.

 Man-centered religion and self-help teaches us to look at ourselves then look to God. Jesus invites us to come to Him, and then He empowers us to let go:

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11: 28-30)

Let God, and then let go: that's the Truth that sets us free!

No comments:

Post a Comment