Friday, November 30, 2012

Single on Earth --- Married to Christ

"Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman." ( 1 Corinthians 7: 1)

The English does not do this verse justice. Paul wrote that is is "beautiful" for a man not to touch a woman, and the same can be said for a woman who chooses not to marry a man.

Why did Paul share this opinion and esteem the single life?:

"I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I." (1 Corinthians 7: 8)

"Abide" is the key word. Jesus called for us to abide in Him:

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." (John 15: 4-5)

We are first and foremost married to Christ, we are one with Him, and in Him we have our new identity.

Paul says that we have been betrothed:

"Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God." (Romans 7: 4)

As a married person loses himself and becomes part of someone else, so we are one with Jesus:

"That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. " (John 17: 21)

But this is more than a mere marriage made in heaven. Christ lives in us (Colossians 1: 27), and we are hid in Christ (Colossians 3: 3).

He is the Author and Finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2) and by His faith we live (Galatians 2: 20)

Whether we are single or married on earth, we are married to Christ in heaven, and in heaven we find our true, full, and final citizenship (Philippians 3: 20)

No comments:

Post a Comment