Monday, November 5, 2012

Jesus' Perfect Peace Has Us

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." (Isaiah 26: 3)

This verse has seen me through many challenges. If I just kept the Lord in mind, then I had nothing to worry about.

Of course, because I did not rightly divide the Word of God (2 Timonthy 2: 15), I used to struggle to keep my mind on God, always thinking of Him, and getting afraid and discouraged if I lost focus on Him, even for one minute!

Hardly created perfect peace, I ended up under complete bondage.

The second part of the verse makes all the difference. Why do we trust in the Lord? Because He sent His own Son to die for me, to cleanse me of all my sins:

"What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

"He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?" (Romans 8: 31-32)

In fact, we are not called merely to keep our mind on God, but  a God who is serving us:

"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;" (2 Corinthians 10: 5)

The reason why I faced so much bondage, in truth, is that my understanding of God was too small, too static. God has already promised to give us all things with His Son (Romans 8: 32).

We can also trust that He is in us, our hope of glory (Colossians 1: 27), a hope that will never let us down:

"And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." (Romans 5: 5)

This love testifies that we are God's children, with the same standing as God's own Son:

"Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4: 17)

In fact, Christ is our peace (Ephesians), and as our Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9: 6), we can rest assured that He has us:

"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." (John 10: 28)

Let us trust in God, resting in His promise to never leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13: 5), because in Him we receive eternal life and all other things pertaining (John 10: 10).

In closing, the word "trust" in Hebrew indicates a carefree confidence, knowing full well that we have God for certain on our side (Psalm 124: 1-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment