Thursday, August 30, 2012

You Are Child of God -- Walk Like One!

One of the most meaningful quotes that I have kept in remembrance was from former Governor of New York and Vice President Nelson Rockefeller:

"You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure about you."

I have had this quote in my folder for years, yet only now am I beginning to take in what it really means for me.

This sonship is powerful. It makes me a son of God:

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him." (1 John 5: 1)

We do not enter into Sonship because we think highly of ourselves, but rather because God loved us so much:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3: 16)

Jesus Christ is this life (John 14: 6), and this life we do not live in our own efforts:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2: 20)

The firm foundation of the forgiveness of sins grants to every believer the boldness to come before the Father (Hebrews 4: 16). Never again do we have to wonder if He is for us or not.

When we have this boldness, we can face the world with confidence:

"Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world." ( 1 John 4: 17)

So if you are a child of God, why would you life at any lesser level? Paul exhorts his fellow believers:

"Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;

"And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour." (Ephesians 5: 1-2)

This love that we walk in is not our love for God, but His love for us:

"We love him, because he first loved us." (1 John 4: 19)

You are a child of God, beloved -- walk like one!

No comments:

Post a Comment