Sunday, August 12, 2012

Let His Grace Work -- No Vanity to Fret About

As every believer grows in grace and knowledge of the Lord (2 Peter 3: 18), we learn that in Him we are more than conquerors (Romans 8: 37), that we are kingly priests (1 Peter 2: 9) who can boldly enter the throne of grace (Hebrews 4: 16)

When I remarked to an acquaintance that I have favor wherever I go, he snidely retorted:
“Better watch the Vanity.”

I have come to believe, however, that to the extent that believers do not live out the glory which God has given us through the death and resurrection of His Son (Colossians 1: 27), to that extent we are still living under works (Galatians 5: 4), taking pride in our effort, and thus frustrating the grace of God in our lives (Galatians 2: 20)

We are more than conquerors in Christ. It is vanity to trust in our own efforts, or to deny who we are as believer in the name, by which we can all be called Sons of God.
Solomon defines vanity thus:
"Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
"What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun? " (Ecclesiastes1: 2-3)
"All his labor" spells it out -- we are called to rest from our own labors, and let God work through us!

 If we struggle to accept this, it is because we do not know that we are “accepted in the Beloved” (Ephesians 1: 6), and therefore that God has blessed with all spiritual blessings (Ephesians 1: 3)

God gives us the power to get wealth, too (Deuteronomy 8: 18). Who are we to deprive God of His power working through us? I

Indeed, the only vanity, the one bemoaned by Solomon, is living our life through our own effort, depriving ourselves of receive God’s grace. Paul speaks of the glory of God's grace flowing in us through Jesus Christ:
"But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." (1 Corinthians 15: 10)
Here, Paul illustrates how easy a believer can forget that it is God's grace that works through us, not our own efforts, for apart from Him, we can do nothing (John 15: 5)
We rest in His grace, which establishes our hearts (Hebrews 13: 9), and we can trust that trusting in His grace is not a vain thing:
"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." (2 Corinthians 12: 9)

No comments:

Post a Comment