Saturday, August 4, 2012

Doctrine is Person, not just a Paragraph

We are called to believe on a Person:

"Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. (John 6: 29)

This Person lives in us by faith:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2: 20)

In Him, we are able to produce fruit of obedience:

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. " (John 15: 4-5)

When we read Scripture, we seek more of Jesus, who lives in us (Colossians 1: 27)

"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." (John 5: 39)

This is confirmed in Jesus' diligent teaching to the two travelers on the road to Emmaus:

"Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

"Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?

"And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself." (Luke 24: 25-27)

The righteousness that we receive is the Person of Jesus Christ:

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." (2 Corinthians 5:21)

It is Christ Himself who informs everything about the believer, too:

"Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4: 17)

In fact, right doctrine is Christ Himself, and all Scripture speaks to His primacy and supremacy:

"Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son." (2 John 9)

Here, "transgresseth" means "to pass, to go beyond", which speaks of adding anything to the Finished Work of Jesus Christ. He is all that we need, the Author and Finisher of our faith. Therefore, the doctrine that every believer seeks and cares about must be rooted in the Person of Jesus Christ, all and all.

2 John 9

No comments:

Post a Comment