Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Seeking the Lord: Believing in His Sacrifice

"And he sought God in the days of Zechariah, who had understanding in the visions of God: and as long as he sought the LORD, God made him to prosper." (2 Chronicles 26: 5)

For me, passages like this were wonderful yet also confusing.

How do I seek God? Is He not everywhere?

The Psalmist could not have been clearer about how present He is in our lives:

"7Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
 
"8If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
 
"9If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
 
"10Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me." (Psalms 139: 7-10)
 
We cannot get away from God, even if we try to.
 
When man fell and sinned, Adam and Eve tried to hide from God, but He found them:
 
"8And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden. 9And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?" (Genesis 3: 8-9)
 
So, what does it mean "Sought the LORD"?
 
This seeking speaks of allowing God to speak to us through the sacrifices of blood.
 
The first mention of seek speaks of blood
 
"And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man." (Genesis 9: 5)
 
Furthemore, "to seek God" speaks of depending on Him for answers. When Rebekah felt her two sons within her fighting, she sought God for answers:
 
"And the children struggled together within her; and she said, If it be so, why am I thus? And she went to inquire of the LORD." (Genesis 25: 22)
 
God promised to meet the Israelites (through their high priest) at the Mercy Seat:
 
"And thou shalt put it before the vail that is by the ark of the testimony, before the mercy seat that is over the testimony, where I will meet with thee." (Exodus 30: 6)
 
Today, we do not seek God physically, but rather we grow in grace and knowledge of the Lord  (2 Peter 3: 18), seeing everything that He has done for us, and receiving more of His righteousness and grace into our lives, too (Romans 5: 17).
 
He lives in us (Colossians 1: 27) and His Spirit informs us of all things (1 John 2: 20, 27) because the Blood of Jesus has brought us to God:
 
"But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ." (Ephesians 2: 13)
 
Today, to seek God is to believe that through the sacrifice of His Son, all our sins are put away, and we can rest in full assurance that He is providing for all our needs (Romans 8: 32, Philippians 4: 19).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment