Friday, July 17, 2015

From "My Teacher" to "My God"

"16Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master. 17Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." (John 20:16-17)

Mary was the first person to meet Jesus resurrected.

Jesus was beaten for our sins and iniquities, and raised from the dead as proof that all our sins were put away:

"
4Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all." (Isaiah 53: 4-6)
 
Paul later wrote:
 
"23Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him; 24But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; 25Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification." (Romans 4: 23-25)
 
Now, what else do we learn about Mary in this beautiful encounter, and what can we learn about Jesus?
 
The first thing that Mary said to Jesus was "Rabboni!" The translation is more than "Master", but "My master", or "my teacher".
 
For many Christians, when they learn about Jesus, they also learn the importance of having a personal relationship with Him.
 
Yet Jesus did not die on the Cross to be an example for us to follow or a teacher to tell us what to do.
 
He came to give us rest:
 
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11: 28)
 
He came to give us His Kingdom:
 
"30For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things. 31But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you. 32Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." (Luke 12: 30-32)
 
He came to give us life:
 
"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." (John 10: 10)
 
He came to give us Himself:
 
"Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me." (Mark 9: 37)
 
Jesus did not come to be a teacher, but our Savior, to make us one with His Father:
 
"22And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: 23I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. 24Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world." (John 17: 22-24)
 
Notice in the above verse also that Jesus does not shame or chide Mary for seeing Him as teacher. He reveals more of Himself as "Father" and "your God".
 
God as our Father and a God to us, that is essence of the New Covenant:
 
"10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
 
"11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
 
"12For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." (Hebrews 8: 10-12)
 
As we grow in grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus, we see Jesus no longer as "my teacher" but "my Father" and "my God".

No comments:

Post a Comment