Thursday, February 6, 2014

His Love Creates Obedience

"And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it." (2 John 6)

We are called to walk in the truth of the Gospel (3 John 2-4).

Jesus did give commandments, too, but not the Ten Commandments, which is the Old Covenant set to vanish away (Hebrews 8: 13):

"Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent." (John 6: 29)

and then

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." (John 13: 34)

and also

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me." (John 15: 4)

The more that we understand what Jesus has done for us, that through His death we are set free from all our sins, and that His grace flows in our lives, the more that we love others:

"We love him, because he first loved us." (1 John 4: 19)

Yet when I look at  John 6 more closely, I notice that part of God's love includes our walking after His commandments. Just as He has loved us from the beginning, so to His love enables us to love others, too, to be obedient.

No comments:

Post a Comment