Thursday, March 28, 2013

He Brings Us Up to See Him

"And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,

"And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light." (Matthew 17: 1-2)

I have often marvelled at the Gospel writers' intermittent use of the Present tense.

Some commentators argue that the historical present allowed the writer to establish an immediate context with the reader.

I believe that the Holy Spirit inspired Matthew to write the first verse in the present tense because Jesus does this even now for us.

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." (John 14: 26)

and

"And when he [The Holy Spirit] is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: . . .Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more (John 16: 8, 10)

As you read God's Word, let Jesus, through His Holy Spirit dwelling in you, bring you higher up and receive a greater revelation of Christ Jesus in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment