Monday, March 14, 2022

Seeing Him Who Has Been From the Beginning


 

"I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning." (1 John 2:13)

Jesus is Him who is from the beginning:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." (John 1:1)

For the longest time, I used to think that Jesus would come or go depending on how I felt or what I was thinking. I was truly convinced that I had to control whatever thoughts or feelings were percolating inside of me to ensure that I was able to see God, to perceive that He is with me.

What does Jesus say about seeing Him?

"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." (John 3:3)

I am born again! I do not have to strive or try harder to see God. I do not have to watch what I am thinking or feeling. Daddy God does not come or go in my life just because of the sin in the flesh.

Consider the great victory that we have in Christ Jesus!

"1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus … 2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." (Romans 8:1-4)

There is no condemnation in Christ Jesus. PERIOD!

We are free from judgment, from condemnation, from punishment for sins because Jesus took all the punishment. He is our heavenly Ark, and on Him fell all the outpourings of God's wrath and anger for our sins. YES!

Therefore, because of this great work that Jesus accomplished for us at the Cross, the sin in our flesh is also condemned! We do not have to do anything about it!

Once again, the problem for me was that I was confusing faith with feelings. I was convinced that God would not be real in my mind if my mind was cluttered with bad thoughts, bad feelings, etc.

Yet God is real, unmatched, unrivaled in the power and presence He has in our lives, and none of it has anything to do with us. He does not come or go depending on what we think or how we feel. He is here for you and me, and He will never leave us nor forsake us! (Hebrews 13:5)

No longer am I dealing with this constant ping-pong game in my head. I recognize now that bad feelings,  unwelcome thoughts, unpleasant urges are not me. I really understand this wonderful promise from Paul to the Galatians:

"This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh." (Galatians 5:16)

"Walk in the Spirit" is not some mental attitude or exercise. It is all about identifying with the Spirit of God in you, not with your flesh, your feelings, your thoughts, whatever else is going on inside of your body.

"But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding." (Job 32:8)

and

"The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly." (Proverbs 20:27)

We do not need to "do something more" in order for God's Holy Spirit to communicate with us. What we need to do is look at Jesus, see Him in God's Word!

"But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." (2 Corinthians 3:18)

It's all about seeing Jesus in the Word! This truly is effortless transformation!

"And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself." (Luke 24:27)

and thus:

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." (Romans 12:2)

It's all about seeing Him who has been from the beginning! This is not an effort we do through mental exertion, but by resting in His promises, His peace, and His presence in our lives:

"I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people" (Ephesians 1:18, NIV)

When we focus on Him who has been from the beginning, we become more and more like Him. It's not about our effort, but the work of the Holy Spirit transforming us, renewing our minds and enlighting the eyes of our heart to see more of Jesus! AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment