Sunday, January 2, 2022

I Don't Have to Care, Because He Does


"Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

It's amazing how many cares can occupy our lives, take up our time.

For the longest time, I was wrongly convinced that if I was worried about something, I had to do something about it, so that Daddy God would be able to operate in my life.

His presence in my life was tied to what I was thinking and feeling. This bondage was considerable.

It's been ten years now since I learned the fullness of the Gospel of Grace. It has been ten years of learning to see Jesus in the Word, rather than to look for myself or look for little tips on how I need to live my life in my own efforts.

The COVID-19 pandemic helped me to read more of God's Word, focus less on myself and the challenges, temptations, hardships which can so easily beset all of us.

God does not go away because we have cares, fears, and worries.

In fact, God wants us to cast out cares on Him.

Why?

Because He cares for us!

Sadly, throughout the Gospels, we find accounts from the Pharisees and even Jesus' disciples and followers, who were convinced that He did not care about them.

"And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men." (Matthew 22:16)

The religious leaders during Jesus' earthly ministry provoked Him in part by declaring to him (as though to flatter Him initially): "We know that you don't care about anyone."

That is wrong. People under law will inevitably believe wrong, thinking that Daddy God does not care about us, and that we have to care or ourselves!

Yet it wasn't just the religious leaders who doubted whether Jesus cared for other people/

Consider what His disciples shouted at Jesus during the great storm that broke out on the Sea of Galilee:

"And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?" (Mark 4:38)

They misunderstoood Jesus' peaceful sleep on the boat. It's not that Jesus did not care about them. In fact, His perfect peace, sound asleep in the back of the boat, should have served as a signal to the disciples that there was nothing to worry about!

When the Prince of Peace is in your ship, you need not worry about anyone rocking your boat!

How sad it must have been for Jesus, God in the flesh, the Savior of the World, to hear His own disciples say to Him; "Don't you care that we are about to die?!"

Of course He cares! 

And yet, despite their lack of faith, Jesus stilled the storm and ushered in a mega calm. He does't stop caring for you just because you are worrying! That was wrong believing that I struggled with on my part for so long!

And see how Martha treated Jesus when she was so busy with serving, trying to earn His favor and His attention:

"But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me." (Luke 10:40)

Martha rebuked Jesus in front of her own sister--and very likely, others. How awful!

Yet Jesus chided her gently, and reminded her:

"41And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: 42But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:41-42)

Yes, Martha, He cares for you. You don't have to be careful or troubled about anything. Just do the one thing: Let Jesus care for you.

That invitation holds true for me as much as for anyone else.

If I am worried about something or someone, a potential event or mishap in the future, that is not something that I have to deal with. This is not a life that I am expected to live in my own strength!

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

and

"When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory." (Colossians 3:4)

I don't have to care, because Jesus is caring for me. Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Yes,understanding how to live out of the rest,is something that I have only begun to understand in the last year. Which is really what you are saying here! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete