Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Spirit of Christ Reminds Us of Our Status

"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:" (Romans 8: 16)

Today, for those who believe in Jesus, we have His Spirit living in us:

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;" (John 14:16)

Now, in case someone claims that this Comforter is not Jesus, our Savior clarifies very clearly:

"I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." (John 14: 18)

Jesus even told His disciples to wait for His Spirit to come to them:

"And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high." (Luke 24: 49)

This Spirit reminds us that we are Sons of the Living God:

"Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God." (Hosea 1: 10)

Then:

"For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father." (Romans 8: 15)

Why are we able to receive this new spirit of sonship?

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." (Romans 8: 1-4)

All our sins, and sin in the flesh, has been paid for and condemned because of Christ Jesus, the Holy Son of God, in whom we receive sonsship before God our Father.

Jesus shared this very good news the first time He spoke to Mary Magdalene:

"16Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master. 17Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." (John 20: 16-17)

Today, we do not have to run to someone else to remind us of who we are in Christ, for His Spirit now lives in us, grants us His life and standing:

"Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4: 17)




No comments:

Post a Comment