Saturday, November 1, 2014

You Are Unleavened, so Reject the Leaven

"Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:" (1 Corinthians 5: 7)

What was Paul talking about in this passage?

1It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. 2And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you." (1 Corinthians 5: 1-2)

Not only were people sinning openly, but they were proud of it.

That is evil!

Man has nothing to be proud of:

"But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." (1 Corinthians 15: 10)

Grace is the gift of God, not something that we earned (Ephesians 2: 4-9)

Paul later explained to the Corinthians that we should take pride in our weakness:

"If I must needs glory, I will glory of the things which concern mine infirmities. (2 Corinthians 11: 30)

and then

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." (2 Corinthians 12: 9)

Now, what about this leaven?

Paul explains:

"Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: 8Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness." (1 Corinthians 5: 7-8)

We are unleavened bread already because of Jesus. Therefore the leaven of sin and evil has no place with us:

"3Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life? " (1 Corinthians 6: 3)

and then

"16What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. 17But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit." (1 Corinthians 6: 16-17)

and finally

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." (1 Corinthians 6: 19-20)

Reject the leaven of the law, the traditions of men, and sin, because you have been sanctified, purged of the old leaven through Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment