Friday, October 10, 2014

God's Will for You: The Grace of God

"8Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; 9Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. 10By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. (Hebrews 10: 8-10)

The will of God is not some esoteric set of commands which He feeds to us intermittently.

The will of God is His New Covenant, which Jesus accomplished for us through His Son.

 Because of Jesus, we are made holy:

"But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption." (1 Corinthians 1: 30)

Many people are frustrating the will of God because they do not believe that He did a perfect job of sanctifying us before God the Father.

Paul explains the complete work that Jesus did:

"20I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain." (Galatians 2: 20-21)

We have been taken out of ourselves, and brought into Christ, and we live because He lives:

"Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also." (John 14: 9)

Notice also that Paul wrote to the Galatians that he does not frustrate the grace of God in His life.

This grace, which God wants us to receive and live on (1 Corinthians 15: 10), speaks perfectly of God's will for us:

"9Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second" (Hebrews 10: 9)

What was done away, and what replaced it? The New Covenant:

"10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

"11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
 
"12For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." (Hebrews 8: 10-12)
 
The writer affirms that this New Covenant has finished the Old:
 
"13In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."
 
While the Old Covenant was defined by "Thou shalt not. . .", the New Covenant is all about God's "I will". The law has been replaced by grace, and that is God's will for you, that you live by His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment