Tuesday, May 27, 2014

You Have His Name -- Everlasting!

"4For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;

5Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off." (Isaiah 56: 4-5)
 
Whenever we read passages in the Old Testament, let us always read the prophets' words through the fullness of the New Covenant:
 
"For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins." (Matthew 26: 28)
 
What are the key elements of this New Covenant?
 
"10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
 
"11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
 
"12For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." (Hebrews 8: 10-12)
 
So, everyone of us is invited to take hold of this New Covenant.
 
And what is the result?
 
We are brought into His House, rather than having to beg to come in:
 
"To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved." (Ephesians 1: 6)
 
and then
 
"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) 6And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: " (Ephesians 2: 4-6)
 
We receive an everlasting name: sons of God in Christ:
 
"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:" (John 1: 12)
 
Then
 
"For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father." (Romans 8: 15)
 
John would then declare:
 
"1Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not." (1 John 3:1)
 
We have a name better than sons and daughters, because God our Daddy puts us in His Son, and sees us as His own Son:
 
"Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4: 17)
 
We receive eternal life (John 3: 16; John 10: 10) and we are sealed in Christ through His Spirit. i.e. we receive an everlasting name which can never be cut off.
 
We can call on God our Father, because of Jesus:
 
"And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son." (John 14: 13)
 
The deeper understanding we have to receive today is that the prophesies of Isaiah are fulfilled in Christ today, and forever more. In Christ, you have His Name, Everlasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment