Friday, October 19, 2012

Number One Antidote to Fear: Redemption and Identity in Christ

During a very trying time of life, when I had quit one terrible job while in search of what to do next, I distinctly heard in my spirit, "I gave Egypt for thy ransom."

I found this verse later on, one which moved me to tears then, as it does still to this day:

"But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine." (Isaiah 43: 1)

The results from this wonderful promise are unfolded for the believer in the New Testament:

"For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

"And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

"For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. "(Hebrews 8: 10-12)

The essential element of this new covenant is that God remembers our sins no more, for they have all be righteously judged in His Son Jesus at the Cross. In effect, we have been redeemed, and now we are His.

The Lord places no qualifications on the types of fear, for they are all blasted away with "I have redeemed thee." For the believer, it is a done deal. This redemption reveals the great love of God for us:

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5: 8)

and

"Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." (1 John 4: 10)

What does this love mean for us, besides the fact that all our sins are forgiven?

"Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4: 17)

This love has been perfected in us! What's the result. Look at the next verse:

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." (1 John 4: 18)

In His perfect love, we receive redemption from all of our sins and a new identity, one based in Christ, God's beloved Son.

So, by His name, we become sons of God (John 1: 12), and therefore when God says "I have called thee by name", He is refering to the Name that we now bear: Jesus Christ, His Beloved Son!

Renew your mind to this truth, and every fear will be cast out of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment