Sunday, April 7, 2019

When He Kisses Us With His Kisses

"Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth: for thy love is better than wine." (Songs 1:2)



The more that I have learned about God's passionate love for me, the more that God's Word has opened up to me.

I revisited the Song of Solomon to get a better picture, a deeper understand of God's love for me.

I could barely get passed the first verse without asking questions.

"Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth."

The verse seems so redundant. Why say "kiss" and "kisses"? And how else would He kiss me? With his leg?

More to the point, wouldn't "Let him kiss me" cover everything?

Of course, not one word is superfluous in Scripture.

I studied the verse in the original Hebrew.

In Hebrews, the word "kiss" is "nashak" in Hebrew.

It's first mention appears in the verse below"

"And his father Isaac said unto him, Come near now, and kiss me, my son." (Genesis 27:26)

Wow, the first mention of "kiss" is shrouded in deception, when Isaac asked for his son Jacob (whom he thought was Esau) asked to kiss him.

Then I found this use of the word:

"Thou shalt be over my house, and according unto thy word shall all my people be ruled: only in the throne will I be greater than thou." (Genesis 41:40)

Now isn't that interesting? "To Kiss" in Hebrew also means "to rule over"!

And there's more!

"Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him." (1 Kings 19:18)

"Kiss" speaks of doing obeisance to something or someone.

Hebrews uses "nashak" in this context, too:

"They were armed with bows, and could use both the right hand and the left in hurling stones and shooting arrows out of a bow, even of Saul's brethren of Benjamin." (1 Chronicles 12:2)

To be equipped, to be armed for war, that's also what "nashak" means.

Consider this revelation in "kiss", found in the Psalms:

"Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other." (Psal 85:10)

They kissed,in that they met, they joined together. This verse is a picture of the Cross, in which Jesus' death on the Cross accomplished righteousness and peace for all of us!

Last of all, this unique revelation for "nashak" appears in Ezekiel:

"I heard also the noise of the wings of the living creatures that touched one another, and the noise of the wheels over against them, and a noise of a great rushing." (Ezekiel 3:13)

The significance of these cherubim's wings touching other cannot be overstated.

So, let us return to the verse of interest. "Let Him kiss me with the kisses of His mouth."

Already, there is so much that can be revealed, but let us explore God's goodness and grace in expanding on the word "kiss" as an action and as a noun.

The Shulamite woman says, Solomong writes, and God shares with us:

"Let him rule over me with the kisses of his mouth"

"Let him touch me with the kisses of his mouth."

"Let him equip me (for the fight) with the kisses of his mouth."

"Let him anoint me as ruler with the kisses of his mouth."

The word "kiss" as noun is only mentioned twice in the Bible (Proverbs 27:6, Songs 1:2)

The verb is essential so that our loving, passionate God can express to us what His kisses do for us!

God's love shows that He rules over us wiht great care. His love anoints us to rule with Him. His love equips us for any fight. His love makes us one with Him through righteousness.

So much about God, so much that we see, that we receive through His Son Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment