Saturday, December 7, 2013

Not Your Doing or Not Doing, But His Done!

"For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature." (Galatians 6: 15)

Like many Christians, I kept thinking that I could get God to move in my life by what I did.

When I would contorted, scream, yell, cry, or do some good in my life, I found that whatever I was hoping for, whatever I was trying to get, I never got.

Then I resolved that I would not do something, or I would not do anything. If I would rest, then my resting would ensure that good things would come my way.

In effect, I kept looking to myself, my doing or my not doing to effect God's blessings in my life.

However, we are not saved by anything that we do, or anything that we do not do, either.

We are saved by grace through faith:

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2: 8-10)

If what we have from God is all gift, then there is no room for anything else to be done.

In other words, following Paul's assertion to the Galatians, we are not saved by being circumcised or not, and whether we receive this procedure or not makes no difference in our standing before God.

Our salvation is based on all that Christ Jesus has done for us, and by His death and resurrection we are made a new creation:


"if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." (2 Corinthians 5: 17)

and

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." (2 Corinthians 5: 21)

Because you and I are in Christ, we are a new Creation, or a new creature. This grace, this new identity makes all the difference, not what we do, or what we do not do. It's all done because of Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment