Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Retribution to Our Enemies: Peace with Unmerited Favor



"Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked." (Psalm 91:8)

The word for "reward" is shillumah, and the root for this word is "shalom", or peace.

Yet shalom is more than mere rest and refuge from trouble. Shalom speaks of prosperity, wholeness.

Now, this reward or retribution placed on the wicked has a special ending to it: the letter He, which represents God's grace or His unmerited favor.

When we see the wicked in our lives getting their just retribution, it is peace with grace for us.

The only trouble for me is that this peace with grace takes place without my help, without my effort.

For a long time, I wanted to mete out consequences against those who had harmed me.

I wanted to see them get their "just desserts", but over time I have recognized, finally accepted what God declared for Himself:

"To me belongeth vengeance, and recompence; their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste." (Deuteronomy 32:35)

This verse speaks about God's "Due time" as well. He has a perfect timetable, something that I often ignore or wish to overlook.

God's timetable is more important than mine. God's recompense is consummate, peace with grace at the end.

That is perfect retribution in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment