Sunday, October 2, 2016

It's More Than Knowing Him--You Need to Know that He Knows You!

In many church circles, we are taught that we need to strive and struggle to know the Lord.

Yet under the  New Covenant, He causes us know to know Him!

"10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

"11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.


"12For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more" (Hebrews 8: 10-12)

"They shall all know me."

We do not have to strive to know Him. 

We really need to start understanding how much He knows us!

"O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.

2Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

3Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

4For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.

5Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

6Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it." (Psalm 139: 1-6)

Indeed, it is too wonderful!

And yet, we need to take in, to meditate on how much our loving Father loves us and cares for us!

Notice what Paul prayed for the Ephesians, who already had a large vision of God's love for them!

"And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God." (Ephesians 3: 19)

Notice also how Paul deliberately corrects himself when addressing the Galatians, who had started going back under law:

"But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? 10Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. 11I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain." (Galatians 4: 9-11)



We need to stop seeing our growing knowledge of God's love for us from the perspective of works, of striving, of a searching effort.

God has been in the goodness, blessing, and loving business of caring for us since the very beginning. Even before God created the heavens and the earth, He prepared His Son to be our redeeming sacrifice!

"18Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 20Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, 21Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God." (1 Peter 1: 18-21)

Who can forget the blessed affirmation of love and protection which God gave to the prophet Jeremiah--and remember, this was under the Old Covenant of bulls and goats:

"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations." (Jeremiah 1:5)

Can you and I even begin to comprehend how great He is? Before Jeremiah was formed in his mother's womb, the LORD knew him!

How much more, then, do you think He knows and cares for us, having given His Son to die for us, to live for us, and to be one with us?!

No comments:

Post a Comment