Thursday, March 10, 2016

He Keeps Us Calm, and Carries Us On

During the Second World War, the ministry of defense wanted to prepare posters and banners for the worried, fearful British public.

For months, the Nazi airforce was bombing the United Kingdom, hoping to cripple the power and the moral of the British people.

In the mean time, the British government hoped to encourage the populace in spite of the terrible Nazi blitz.

The proposed banners read:


Notice the royal crown on top of the banner.

Today, we have a High Priest Forever, Jesus, and He is King of Kings, Lord of Lords!

Because of Jesus, we do not keep ourselves calm.

He keeps us calm!

"He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

"He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake." (Psalm 23: 2-3)

Notice that He causes us to lie down, and then to restore our souls.

Consider also this wonderful verse:

"1At the same time, saith the LORD, will I be the God of all the families of Israel, and they shall be my people.

2Thus saith the LORD, The people which were left of the sword found grace in the wilderness; even Israel, when I went to cause him to rest.

3The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee." (Jeremiah 31: 1-3)

Notice how God will cause the Israelites to rest.

Today, our Sabbath rest is in Jesus!

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)

and

"There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief." (Hebrews 4: 9-11)

Jesus is our rest, and He causes to keep calm.

He also carries us!

"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." (John 10:28)

and

"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) 6And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:" (Ephesians 2: 4-6)

We never raised ourselves, and we have done nothing of ourselves to be saved.

It is all God's grace. Just as Jesus holds the universe together in His hands (Colossians 1: 18).

Jesus: He keeps us calm and He carries us!

No comments:

Post a Comment