Monday, January 26, 2015

He Repays (Even Though We Owed So Much)

"I Paul have written it with mine own hand, I will repay it: albeit I do not say to thee how thou owest unto me even thine own self besides." (Philemon 19)

Paul's letter to Philemon is a parable of Christ Jesus and His work of Redemption for each one of us.

Paul presents a servant Onesimus, who had run away from his master Philemon.

After meeting the runaway, and sharing the Gospel with  him, Onesimus is born again.

And he returns to his master, but as more than a servant:

"For perhaps he therefore departed for a season, that thou shouldest receive him for ever; 16Not now as a servant, but above a servant, a brother beloved, specially to me, but how much more unto thee, both in the flesh, and in the Lord?" (Philemon 15-16)

Just like Onesimus, we were servants of sin, but because of Jesus, we are now Sons of the Living:

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:" (John 1: 12)

When Jesus rose again:

"Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." (John 20: 17)

Paul affirms our new status of sonship in Christ:

"For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father." (Romans 8:15)

Now, not only can we see ourselves in Onesimus, but we can also receive revelation from Philemon. His servant had stolen from, had deprived him of services.

The grace of God, granted to us in Christ, superabounds as sin increases (Romans 5:20)

Whatever we feel that we have lost, we can believe that Jesus will more than repay:

Isaiah prophesied:

"I have seen his ways, and will heal him: I will lead him also, and restore comforts unto him and to his mourners." (Isaiah 57: 18)

We have this promise:

"Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord." (Romans 12: 19)

and then

"But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4: 19)

While under law, we are forced to pay our debts, under grace, we recognize that Jesus paid for all our sins (as His blood cleanses us -- 1 John 1: 7), and we can know and believe that whatever we have lost, He is repaying us.

1 comment: