Sunday, August 18, 2013

Vigilant by Seeing our Righteousness in Christ

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:" (1 Peter 5: 8)

When I read this verse, I used to think that I had to be on my guard, making sure that the Enemy did not try to attack me, or doing something that would harm me or my prospects in my life.

Scripture clearly tells us that nothing can harm us, that the Enemy is already defeated:

"8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged." (John 16: 8-11)

and

"And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it." (Colossians 2: 15)

So, the Enemy is judged and disarmed.

Then what are we supposed to be "watching"?

The previous verses in 1 Peter explain:

"6Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 7Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." (1 Peter 5: 6-7)

What does it mean to submit to God? Look to the previous verse:

"5Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble." (1 Peter 5: 5)

As if to make sure that we do not miss the importance of this truth, the verse appears in the fifth chapter of the fifth verse -- and "five" is the number of grace.

God's unmerited favor provides all things for us. The less that we rely on our works in the flesh, and the more that we diligently, vigilantly receive His grace and righteousness (Romans 5: 17), then we are undevourable!

No comments:

Post a Comment