Sunday, July 1, 2012

What to do? Rest in Him!

I used to puzzle within myself when I was disturbed about something.

I knew that I did not have to fight bad or pernicious thoughts. but I was always afflicted with the question: "Well, then, what do I do?" The  Bible provides the answer:

"Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." (Ephesians 6: 13)

In Ephesians, we learn how to sit, walk, and then stand, all by the power of the Holy Spirit, who grants t to us the strength to receive greater knowledge of His love for us, the perfect love of God that casts our all fear.

Jesus Himself told His disciples to rest, or abide, in Him:

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." (John 15: 4-5)

We are called to rest in Him, for He is at work, bearing fruit through us and in us.

"Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit." (1 John 4: 13)

and then

"And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him." (1 John 4: 16)

Followed by

"We love him, because he first loved us." (1  John 4: 19)

And now we can fulfill the new commandment which Jesus gave His disciples, including us:

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." (John 13: 34)

We fulfill the law through God's love ( Romans 13: 10), and through God's love our faith is activated:

"For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love." (Galatians5: 6)

Rest in His Love, He works through us, and we bear much fruit for Him!

What to do? Rest in Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment