Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Only Jesus is the Worthy Servant

"So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do." (Luke 17: 10)

Jesus diminished the high self-regard of His disciples during His earthly ministry, reminding them that whatever service they do, would still not measure up.

The fact is, God's commandments laid out in the Ten Commandments were impossible for anyone of us to fulfill:

"For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin." (Romans 7: 14)

and

"But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid." (Galatians 2: 17)

and

"Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers," (1 Timothy 1: 9)

We need to stop thinking that we can serve Jesus in and of ourselves.

In fact, let's stop thinking that we have anything to give Him:

"I will not reprove thee for thy sacrifices or thy burnt offerings, to have been continually before me.
9I will take no bullock out of thy house, nor he goats out of thy folds.
10For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills." (Psalm 50: 8-10)

and

"But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? for all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee." (1 Chronicles 29: 14)

Jesus made if very clear:

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." (John 15: 5)

Jesus is the perfect servant, and we love Him most when we allow Him to serve us. Mary understood this, and Martha still needed to learn this:

"But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. 41And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: 42But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Luke 10: 40-42)

Only Jesus is the worthy servant. Let Him serve you, and in turn you will find yourself serving in more ways than you could ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment