Monday, November 23, 2015

Jesus Tales Away the Pain of Our Shame

Do we really believe the Word when we read:

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus," (Romans 8: 1)

I have to admit that I really did not believe this.

Well -- that is not entirely true. There is so much more to learning about how forgiven, how graced upon, how righteous we are in Christ Jesus.

I read a beautiful statement in a pastor's blog about no condemnation:

Imagine waking up and learning: All your sins are put away. You will never be charged with wrong doing for anything that you have done.

I really had to take that in. That revelation is really something new. something wonderful to me.

I will never be punished for doing something wrong -- why? Because Jesus was punished for all the wrongdoings of this wrong world:

"My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." (1 John 2: 1-2)

He is paying for all our sins. All of them

For years, I was brought up to feel shame and hurt every time I did something wrong. Many people really believe that shame and condemnation will get people to stop doing the wrong and start doing the right.

Yet that does not work:

"Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21(Touch not; taste not; handle not; 22Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? 23Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh." (Colossians 2: 20-23)

Don't, Don't, Don't does not cut it, and does not work.

We need the grace of God, in greater measure:

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; 14Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works." (Titus 2: 11-14)

Shame has no place in our lives -- none. Even if we do wrong, no one is in a position to shame us.

Jesus took away our shame, all of it, and whatever feelings may lingering, they are dust and ashes with no value:

"To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified." (Isaiah 61: 3)

This revelation has been particularly important for me, because I spent so much trying to put away or supress the negative feels of shame.

Today, it is much easier and better for me, I am not unhappy or hurt anymore when someone says something negative or mean to me.

I do not get confused anymore when someone says something bad -- even if they are rightly criticizing or faulting me.


Thank you, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment