Thursday, July 25, 2013

How to Quit Smoking (or anything Else)

The story is too often repeated in recovery circles, but it must be repeated.

We can do nothing of ourselves. Only through Christ working in us can we do anything:

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." (John 15: 5)

My own mother, whose birthday would be celebrated today, often shared the transforming prayer that led to her quitting smoking:

"God, I have no faith in myself, and I have little faith in you. Please take away this addiction from me."

From that day on, she never smoked again. My father can attest to this. He quit smoking, too.

What really matters here is the following:

"Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts." (Zechariah 4: 6)

and

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." (John 6: 63)

and

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4: 13)

Instead of trying to make ourselves better, God wants us to give up trying altogether and let His life live through us. His grace gives us all the strength to say "No!" to sin, and "Yes!" to life and godliness (Titus 2: 11-12)

My mother did not trust her own efforts. She gave up and just asked God, and He came through for her. She never smoked again.


Quit trying to break free of the addictions in your life. Receive the forgiveness of sins through Christ Jesus, and let His life reign in you, so that yo may reign in life (Romans 5: 17)

No comments:

Post a Comment