Thursday, September 17, 2015

Jesus Our Sabbath Rest Looses Bands

"Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?" (Isaiah 58: 6)

When we read the prophesies in the Old Testament, let us never forget that the promises foretold in those times, have unfolded for us in Christ.

In the above verse, in the greater context of the LORD calling on the Israelites to respect the Sabbath and rest in Him once again, the prophet defines fast in a different way.

Not a fast from eating, but a fast which sets people free, which removes bondages from people's lives.

Part of the Good News for us today, is that Jesus accomplished all these things for us!

"To loose the bands of wickedness. . "

Jesus read another prophesy from Isaiah which affirmed Himself:

"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read. 17And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

18The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised," (Luke 4: 16-18)

"That ye break every yoke. .  ."

Jesus offered Himself as the Sabbath rest which every man needs:

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11: 28-30)

While Isaiah told the Israelites what rest really means, Jesus our Sabbath rest fulfilled all those demands and so much more.



No comments:

Post a Comment