Friday, September 4, 2015

Jesus Drank to Relieve You and Me of Sorrow

"Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
7Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more." (Proverbs 31: 6-7)

When I read this passage, I think of Jesus drinking vinegar on the Cross before He delivered His Spirit:

"When Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" Then bowing His head, He gave up His spirit." (John 19 :30)

Notice that Jesus took that strong drink for us and signaled to the world and all eternity that He had finished the work which He came to do.

He put aside our sins forever (Hebrews 1: 3; 10: 14) and rendered inoperative the ordinances against us (Colossians 2: 13-15).

He took us from dead in our trespasses to alive and seated in heavenly places with Him (Ephesians 2: 1-6)

We do not have heavy hearts, but a  new heart:

Ezekiel prophesied:

"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh." (Ezekiel 36: 26)

and Jesus fulfilled:

"This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;" (Hebrews 10: 16)

We do not have to forget our poverty, for Jesus became poor and through His poverty we are made rich (2 Corinthians 8: 9)

We have no sorrow or misery, because in Christ we are more than conquerors (Romans 8: 37) and in Christ we reign in life (Romans 5: 17)

While the Proverbs were written by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit through men under law, we can see the work of Jesus and His grace in our lives.

He drank the bitter cup, and relieved us of all sorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment