Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Christ is Your Perfect Peace

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." (Isaiah 26: 3)

This verse has seen me through many hard times, yet when we rightly divide the Word of God, we find that this perfect peace is not something that we have to strain or strive for, but rather something that we rest in, an integral part of God's Finished Work.

I used to think that this verse meant that I had to be thinking about God all the time.

But that makes His peace conditional on what we do. That is not what Scripture teaches:

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:" (Romans 5: 1)

Because Jesus Christ has died on the Cross for our sins, and by His death we are granted His life:

"For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous." (Romans 5: 19)

and

"Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:" (Romans 6: 8)

In fact, Christ Himself is our peace:

"For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;" (Ephesians 2: 14)

Jesus Christ is prophesied as the Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9: 6), and God the Father has us in His hands:

"My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand." (John 10: 29)

When I look at Isaiah 26: 3, I no longer see myself holding onto perfect peace, but I see Perfect Peace personified in Christ, and He is holding on to me.

Another rendering of this verse would go like this:

"Anything formed you keep -- uphold in your hand -- in perfect peace because I trust in you"

And to trust God means to cast all our cares on Him ("1 Peter 5: -7), that we can take Him at His Word, because He gave His own Son for us!

We are called to believe on Him whom God the Father hath sent (John 6: 29). Trust in Him, and let Perfect Peace uphold you in all that you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment