Saturday, June 23, 2012

To Know God is to Know and Believe that He Knows You

"And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us." (1 John 4: 16)

We know His Love through His Word, and we believe on Him by faith.

Yet more specifically, to know God, we must ponder that He knows us:

"But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?" (Galatians 4: 9)

Paul made a telling and necessary adjustment, reflecting the renewal of our minds which takes place as we grow in grace and knowledge of the Lord.

 God knows us intimately:

"But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows." (Luke 12: 7)

and

"Your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him." (Matthew 6: 8)

Psalm 139 outlines how perfectly God knows us, no matter where we are or where we go:

"O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me." (v.1)

He already knows everything about you! Before you and I ever thought about it, He has us figured out.

"Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways."
(v. 3)


He knows the words which we may utter, He will meet us wherever we end up, whether in heaven, in hell, or even in the utermost parts of the sea. Not only is he there with us. but He is still leading us!

To love God, we must ponder that He loves us, and that He loves us eternally, infinitely, and incessantly:

"Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." (1 John 4: 10)

and

"We love him, because he first loved us." (1 John 4: 19)

In fact, everything we do is not so much our doing, but our believing on Him and receiving Himself within us:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2: 20)

and

"But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." (1 Corinthians 15: 10)

He lives this life in us. His grace labors in us. This is a life not of doing but of believing, which then quickens us to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment