Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Meditation of the Heart: The Gospel

God promised to give His people a new heart:

"And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:

"That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God." (Ezekiel 11: 19-20)

The fullness of this promise is expounded for us in the Book of Hebrews:

"For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

"And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

"For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." (Hebrews 8: 10-12)

It is the Holy Spirit, the promise of God the Father (Acts 2: 33) which makes these wonderful transformations possible.

Now, we have a new heart. What is this new heart made of? According to most translations, it is a heart of flesh, yet scripture declares throughout that by the flesh no man will be justified (Romans 3: 20) In Christ, we have been made the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5: 21).

So, what's going on? What is our new heart like? More recent translations render the verse thus:

'"I will take away their stony, stubborn heart and give them a tender, responsive heart." (New Living Translation)

or

"I will remove their stubborn hearts and give them obedient hearts." (GODS WORD Translation)

In the original Hebrew, the world "flesh" is "בָּשָׂר basar", which can also be rendered "to bear good news, or glad tidings." This word is translated according to this verse where the Old Testament prophets declare the coming of the Messiah:

"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!" (Isaiah 52: 7)

Paul appropriates this passage when he describes the full armor of God:

"And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;" (Ephesians 6: 15)

Our stony heart--- which represents the law -- has been replaced with the Gospel of grace! The writer confirms the new fundamental element of grace for our hearts:

"Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein." (Hebrews 13: 9)

As we meditate on God's Word, let us rest in the assurance that what our spirit declares will bless us:

"The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips." (Proverbs 16: 23)

and

"My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding." (Psalm 49: 3)

Today, on your heart is written the Good News of God's eternal forgiveness and everlasting righteousness. Renew your mind to this truth daily, and never sorrow again!

No comments:

Post a Comment