Monday, May 14, 2012

Do Not Try To Be Who You Are in Him

The more that I tried to be anything in this life, the worse things seem to get. Simply put, I was trying too hard! I was trying, instead of abiding in Christ, as He abides in me (John 15: 1-5)

 I am good at whatever I put my hands to, for I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4: 13) and He supplies all my needs according to His infinite riches (Philippians 4: 19). I am able and skilled to do all things. I have His peace and good will within me to do all things:

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:" (Romans 5: 1)
Christ died on the Cross for me, that I may receive peace -- Christ Himself:

"For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us." (Ephesians 2: 14)
Of course, peace is also a fruit of the Holy Spirit, through whom Christ comes to live in us:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace”(Galatians 5: 22)
To every believer, this is truth. He lives in everyone of us, and it is He who works in us both to will and to do for His good pleasure (Philippians 2: 13)

Then why did I struggle with uncomfortable emotions, doubts, and fears? Because I did not know who I was, and in this world, it can be easy to forget who you are:
"Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world." (1 John 4: 4)

Christ is within me! But there's more:
"Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4: 17)

And then:
"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith." (1 John 5: 4)

 So my faith overcomes the world, and all of its troubles and hardships. Yet what am I supposed to be doing? I still get stuck in "my part", always waiting for some sign, something outside of me to tell  me what was the right or the wrong thing for me to do.
 Then I learned what, or rather whose faith lives in me:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
"I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain." (Galatians 2: 20-21)

 It is Christ who now lives in me. His life animates me. I am not living this life -- it is Christ who lives in me, who leads me, who guides me and every believer.

No comments:

Post a Comment