Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Jesus is "Sprung" for You!

"I am my beloved's, and his desire is toward me." (Songs 7:10)



This is a new revelation for me.

Jesus loves me.

He is in love with me.

He is actively pursuing me because He is so in love with me!

Let's check out the first "marriage", the union of Adam and Eve:

"Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." (Genesis 2:24)

That word "cleave" conveys a number of meanings.

1. Cling
2. Keep Close
3. Overtake

The same word "Dabaq" in Hebrew, is used in this passage:

"Behold now, thy servant hath found grace in thy sight, and thou hast magnified thy mercy, which thou hast shewed unto me in saving my life; and I cannot escape to the mountain, lest some evil take me, and I die:" (Genesis 19:19)

The idea communicates "Overtakes, catches up with, pursues".

The man is expected not just to cling, but to pursue his wife, his woman.

Other uses of "dabaq" also include:

"And his soul clave unto Dinah the daughter of Jacob, and he loved the damsel, and spake kindly unto the damsel." (Genesis 34:3)

Shechem the Hivite raped Dinah first, and then became so attached, so attraced to her and spoke kindly afterwards.

A good man, a godly man will never force himself on a woman, but will seek to attach himself to her.

It can also mean "keep" as in "maintain":


"So shall not the inheritance of the children of Israel remove from tribe to tribe: for every one of the children of Israel shall keep himself to the inheritance of the tribe of his fathers." (Numbers 36:7)

It can also mean "abide":

"Then said Boaz unto Ruth, Hearest thou not, my daughter? Go not to glean in another field, neither go from hence, but abide here fast by my maidens:" (Ruth 2:8)

And "pursue":

"And they turned and fled toward the wilderness unto the rock of Rimmon: and they gleaned of them in the highways five thousand men; and pursued hard after them unto Gidom, and slew two thousand men of them." (Judges 20:45)

Now, what do we draw out of this one word and the verse in Genesis Chapter 2? This is about man and wife, right?

Well, we are married to Christ! Christ is our man, He is our Husband!



"For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called." (Isaiah 54:5)

and

"For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ." (2 Corinthians 11:2)

Jesus is married to us, and thus:

1. He clings to us!
2. He pursues us!
3. He desires to abide with us!

Among young people, they will say that one person is "sprung" for someone else. What does that mean?

"Utterly infatuated with someone; completely taken over by romantic interest."

That's Jesus! He is your husband, your lover. He wants you. He wants to be with you. To abide with you. To pursue you.

Let Him have all of you today, for His desire is towards ... YOU! Let His Love overtake you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment