Monday, March 9, 2015

The Person of Jesus Matters Most

"And he taketh with him Peter and James and John, and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy;" (Mark 14: 33)

In the above passage, we find the three disciples whom Jesus more intimately revealed himself.

Peter means "stone", James means "replace" , and John means "grace."

This trio of disciples represents the transition from the Old to the New Covenant: the law has been replaced by the grace of God.

This type appears also in Ezekiel's prophesy:

"And they shall come thither, and they shall take away all the detestable things thereof and all the abominations thereof from thence. 19And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: " (Ezekiel 11: 18-19)

Here, God talks about removing the heart of stone and replacing it with a heart of flesh, or a soft heart. The most accurate translation, however, is a heart of "Good News", which speaks of the Gospel of Grace:

"But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God." (Acts 20: 24)

and then

"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:" (Galatians 1: 6)

and

"Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:" (Colossians 1: 6)

While in the previous post, we learned about the four disciples asking Jesus about the end times, in the above passage today we learn about the disciples being with Jesus in His darkest time before the Cross.

Jesus wants us to be with Him, not know what the future will be like for us:

"The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee." (Jeremiah 31: 3)

and also

"In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the LORD thy Redeemer." (Isaiah 54: 8)

God is all about our knowing Him, and we know Him through the Son:

"If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him." (John 14: 7)

and

"14I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one." (1 John 2: 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment