Friday, February 20, 2015

God Rejoices in Grace, Not Sacrifice

"For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings." (Hosea 6: 6)

Hosea, whose name means "God Saves", revealed the true heart of God.

He is not interested in us going through the motions of devotion. He wants us to know that He is devoted to us.

He is not interested in what we can do for Him, but rather He is interested in our knowing what He can do for us.

Remember that the one major commandment given to the first man was to enjoy all that He created:

"15And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. 16And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:" (Genesis 2: 15-16)

Today, this command has been made even easier:

"Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent." (John 6: 29)

We need to understand that God is about favoring our, and not interested in our fervor for him.

"5Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful.
"6The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me." (Psalm 116: 5-6)
 
and then
 
"12What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me?
 
"13I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD." (Psalm 116: 12-13)
 
We have to accept that we bring Him nothing:
 
"For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out." (1 Timothy 6: 7)
 
and
 
"But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? for all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee." (1 Chronicles 29: 14)
 
Throughout the Old Testament, Israelites push past the law and appeal to the grace of God, and God hears those pleas.
 
The five daughters of Zelophehad would have lost their father's inheritance, just because they were women, but that did not stop them from asking the LORD for the inheritance.
 
"The daughters of Zelophehad speak right: thou shalt surely give them a possession of an inheritance among their father's brethren; and thou shalt cause the inheritance of their father to pass unto them." (Numbers 27: 7)
 
David prayed to God based on His grace, not the law:
 
"
5Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
6Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
7Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
9Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities." (Psalm 51: 5-9)
 
God is all about grace, He is all about forgiveness, and He is all about providing all things for us.
 
How is He able to do this? Because of His Son Jesus!
 
"For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ." (John 1:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment