Monday, June 30, 2014

He Brings Our Thoughts Into Captivity -- Not Us

"3For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: 4(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 6And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled." (2 Corinthians 10:3-6)

I have battled with my thought life, as much as any other person.

The example of Singapore Pastor Joseph Prince, any many other preachers, has impacted me more than I can explain in one post.

When I look at this verse, I realized that for a long time, I had construed this verse to mean my obedience.

Not at all -- it's all about the obedience of Christ:

"5Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross." (Philippians 2: 5-8)

We receive this justification because Jesus became sin, and we became the righteousness of God in Him (2 Corinthians 5: 20-21)


This gift of righteousness informs us that we have been justified from all wrongdoing, from all the things that the law of Moses could not do for us (Acts 13: 38-39)

This message faces harsh opposition, particularly in many churches, which refuse to accept that we are dead in our trespasses, as opposed to the more fleshly notion that we are imperfect people who can be perfected in our own efforts.

For years, I battled with my thoughts and feelings, convinced that how I was thinking or what  I was feeling would affect  my standing before God, as though He would be angry with me or that I could not feel his love if I was upset or angry in some way.

I have since learned what folly all of that has become. There is no truth to such nonsense.

He loves me unconditionally, and this love is expressed in the perfect (and perfected) acceptance which I have received because of Jesus, who died for my sins, and who was raised for my justification (Romans 4: 16)

He is bringing every thought into captivity, slaying the condemnation of negative thinking. The shield of faith which quenches those fiery darts is based on the righteousness by faith.

I do not have to struggle with my thinking, for today and forevermore I have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16) and as Christ is today, so am I in this world (1 John 4: 17)

No comments:

Post a Comment