Sunday, August 11, 2013

His Rest Answers All Things

"Then Naomi her mother in law said unto her, My daughter, shall I not seek rest for thee, that it may be well with thee?" (Ruth 3: 1)

Rest is our first priority:

"Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief." (Hebrews 4:11)

What is rest? Rest has to with our ceasing from our own works to earn God's righteousness and favor.

Rest is not about "doing nothing", but rather about a Spirit of Peace living within us.

Actually, the Bible defines the source of rest:

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11: 28)

Jesus Christ is our rest, for the verse would be better translated as "I will rest you."

He is our rest. Our life is not bound up in struggling on our own, but rather resting in His grace, and letting His life live through us:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2: 20)

He is our life:

"For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory." (Colossians 3: 3-4)

More to the point, His laws are now at work within us, and we have an intimate relationship with God through Jesus Christ, because He has been  made the final sacrifice for our sins (2 Corinthians 5: 21):

"For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

"And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

"For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." (Hebrews 8: 10-12)

Righteousness is the gift that we keep on receiving through Christ Jesus, and He is in us ("Colossians 1:27).

As long as we keep growing in grace and knowledge of the Lord (2 Peter 3: 18), then we are evermore entering into his rest.

Jesus has promised all things for us through His righteousness:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. " (Matthew 6: 33)

Rest in His righteousness, and all will be well with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment