Sunday, August 4, 2013

Declare His Righteousness

One of the common sayings among grace preachers is "I am the righteousness of God in Christ."

I do not need any more reasons to look at myself, even if it is to see that I am righteous.

I want to see more of Jesus, and through the righteousness imparted to us, we no longer have to look at or look over ourselves:

"1If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory." (Colossians 3: 1-4)

Peter then writes that God is watching out for us, not ourselves:

"For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls." (1 Peter 2: 25)

and then

"Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

"Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." (1 Peter 5: 6-7)

The focus in on Christ, not ourselves, for He is our righteousness (1 Corinthians 1: 30), and in Him alone are we made the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5: 21)

The New Covenant is based entirely and eternally on Jesus Christ and what He has done:

"For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

"And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

"For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." (Hebrews 8: 10-12)

This New Covenant is now in effect because God remembered all the sins of all the world in His Son, Jesus. Now, we can receive his grace and righteousness as gifts unending (Romans5: 17), and thus we bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10: 5)

Declare His righteousness. Praise Him saying:

"You took away all my sins. You have made me righteous."

When you say "I am the righteousness of God in Christ", the focus ends up on us all too often, or we say these things in order to get rid of ugly sentiments. Focus on Jesus, and the things of this world will prove undaunting, including your flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment