Friday, May 31, 2013

Self-Sufficiecy is for Babies

We are not called to live on our own, depending on our own flesh.
"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." (2 Corinthians 10: 12)

Who do we measure ourselves by, or in whom do we find full stature? In Christ:

"Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:" (Ephesians 4: 13)

So, if God-sufficiency is the goal, the self-sufficiency does not make us strong, but rather weak:

"But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?" (Galatians 4: 9)

The sufficiency that we have in Christ we receive by His grace:

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

"Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." (2 Corinthians 12: 9-10)

Another verse inspires us to draw our sufficiency from Him:

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

"I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." (Philippians 4: 11-12)

Now, most people just stop there and rest in their own capacity to make do with whatever they have or whatever they are facing. Yet the key to this contentment is not in ourselves:

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4: 13)

He is our sufficiency -- and in Him we have all that we need! Self-sufficiency is for babies. Dependence on Christ for all things is full-grown maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment