Monday, May 6, 2013

From Jeremiah: We Trust Him Because He Has Forgiven Us

"Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:" (Jeremiah 32: 17)

Who is the "Outstretched arm" but Jesus Christ, our Savior?

Nothing is too hard of God.

Yet Jeremiah, whose name means "The Lord is High", started to have his doubts, even when the Lord instructed Jeremiah to redeem a plot of land, predicting that the Israelites would return.

The Lord then spoke to Jeremiah Himself:

"Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?" (Jeremiah 32: 27)

The Lord had to remind Jeremiah of His omnipotence over everyone and everything, not just those who believe on Him.

I believe this passage can teach us not only to trust Him, but also that even if we doubt Him, even if we get discouraged by our circumstances, God is still willing, able, and sure to come through for us, if we hear Him and believe what He tell us.

In the same chapter, the Lord provides the antidote to the unbelief which holds many believers back from trusting Him:

"Behold, I will gather them out of all countries, whither I have driven them in mine anger, and in my fury, and in great wrath; and I will bring them again unto this place, and I will cause them to dwell safely: 38And they shall be my people, and I will be their God: 39And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me for ever, for the good of them, and of their children after them: 40And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me." (Jeremiah 32: 37-40)

How do we fear the Lord? When we know that He has forgiven all of our sins:

"But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared." (Psalm 130: 4)

The same New Covenant Promise which the Lord gives to Jeremiah, he repeated to him the key elements of it, including the condition that will make it all come to pass:

"And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more." (Jeremiah 31: 34)

The Lord repeats this provision many times, and we in the Body of Christ must continue to renew our minds to this wonderful truth, laboring to enter the rest that in Christ all our sins are forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment