Sunday, February 24, 2013

Refuse Reproach and Reign in Righteousness

The number One enemy is not fear, but shame, and Jesus defeated even this in dying on the Cross for us:

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12: 2)

What is the "cure" for the "shame" in our lives, specifically? Jesus, seated at the right hand of the Father, who is the Author and Finisher of Faith, not just yours and mine, but for all believers:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2: 20)

This faith, then, moves within us by the Power of the Holy Spirit:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith" (Galatians 5: 22)

We receive by faith the Holy Spirit into our lives, and the Holy Spirit conveys the following message to us:

"And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: . . .

"Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;" (John 16: 8, 10)

This righteousness is a gift which we are called to keep receiving, that we may reign in life through Jesus:

"For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive [lit. are receiving] abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ." (Romans 5: 17)

Reproach speaks of condemnation, the sense that we are not "good enough", but the Holy Spirit reminds us that we are not "good enough" in anything that we do, but in all that Jesus has done for us:

"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me" (John 15: 26)

and

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8: 1, NIV)

Refuse the shame, reign in righteousness, because that's what Jesus paid for you to have!

No comments:

Post a Comment