Monday, September 3, 2012

Who You are Has Nothing to Do with Who You Are

One incisive quote from a recent New Yorker cartoon read:

"I wish my identity weren't wrapped up so much with who I am."

For the believer, this problem is solved in that we are defined and quickened in Christ, our new identity:

"As He is, so are we in this word." (1 John 4: 17)

But we are who we are in Him because of what He has done:

"For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ." (Romans 5: 17)

This righteousness is a gift, one which we receive by grace through, not something that we can work for or earn, and therefore it cannot be lost. Daniel prophesied of this eternal righteousness:

"Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy." (Daniel 9: 24)

Because we were dead in our trespasses, then quickened by Christ through His promised Holy Spirit (Ephesians 2: 1-2), then we have no reason to worry about losing this gift!

In effect, who we are has nothing to do with who we are, but who Christ is, He who lives in us and works in us according to the good pleasure of His Father (Philippians 2: 12-13)

In fact, this life that believers now live is not based in ourselves:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

"I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain." (Galatians 2: 20-21)

We are dead to our old selves, putting off the old man of our flesh (Ephesians 4: 22), and we now put on the new man (Ephesians 4: 24), the righteousness of God, which we receive in Christ (2 Corinthians 5: 21)

Indeed, who we are now has nothing to do with who we are, but everything to do with Christ Jesus, who he is, what he has for us, and what he is doing through us!

No comments:

Post a Comment