Saturday, September 8, 2012

Don't Confess Your Sin -- Confess His righteousness -- and Yours!

We cannot confess every sin – even the Beloved King David prayed that God would cleanse him from secret faults, that God would search Him:
"Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults." (Psalm 19: 12)
and
"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
"And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139: 23-24)
But David did not harp on trying to figure out or itemize his sins -- He asked God to cleanse him, inside out:
"Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
"Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
"Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
"Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
"Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me." (Psalm 51: 6-10) 
We will never have to pray this prayer, for by the Blood of Jesus we have an everlasting propitiation:
"And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." (1 John 2: 2)
Here, "propitiation" means "mercy seat", the place in the Old Testament where the High Priest would offer a blood sacrifice once a year for the sins of the Israelites (Exodus 25: 17; 40: 20)

Because of Jesus' death, we know have His righteousness:

"But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption." (1 Corinthians 1: 30)

and

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." (2 Corinthians 5: 21)

Christ is made our righteousness, and we in turn are made the righteousness of God in Christ! We are taken care of all around.
The blood of Jesus is total, complete, and forever. We can rest and rejoice in His ongoing grace, which cleanses us all the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment